Petco wants people to understand the mutual benefits of having pets in the workplace every…
Petco wants people to understand the mutual benefits of having pets in the workplace every day.
The company established National Pets @ Work Day in 2016 to celebrate the growing number of pet-friendly workplaces, raise awareness for the mutual benefits of having pets at work, and to encourage more employers to consider going pet-friendly. Since its launch, the company continues to advocate for pet-friendly workplaces and the benefits proven to come with it.
According to Petco, research continues to show that having a pet – or even just interacting with one – has positive effects on both animals and people.
These numerous studies show that bringing pets to the office can help:
- Improve employee health: With the stress and pressure that work can sometimes bring, the presence of animals – including even fish in tanks – can help reduce heart rate and blood pressure. Studies have also shown that dog and cat parents made fewer animal doctor visits than non-pet parents.
- Reduce stress: A study of pet-friendly businesses found that employees’ self-reported stress levels declined when their dogs were present, while stress increased for non-pet parents and for pet parents who did not bring their dogs to work.
- Increase focus and promote creativity: Dogs remind us to get up and take breaks, and most of the time that means taking Fido for a walk outside. Research shows that walking, especially outdoors, can increase creative ideation in real time and shortly after, which have been shown to improve employee morale, productivity and focus.
- Enhance socialization among co-workers: Pets can act as catalysts for human social interactions. In fact, just being in the presence of pets can increase the frequency of social interactions, especially with strangers, because they can be a conversation starter.
- Improve productivity: When pet parents don’t have to worry about rushing home to their pets for bathroom or exercise breaks, they may be more likely to stay and enjoy office happy hours or other activities.
Petco’s corporate offices, both in San Diego and San Antonio, have always been pet-friendly. For employers that want to allow pets at the office, Petco recommends a few space considerations and a thorough policy to ensure pets and people can co-exist safely and comfortably at all times.
Find out more at www.petco.com