Skip nav to main content.

Employer Costs Going Up As Wages, Benefits Rise

Employer costs for employee compensation averaged $36.32 per hour worked in December 2018, the U.S….

  • April 3, 2019

Employer costs for employee compensation averaged $36.32 per hour worked in December 2018, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. That was up from $36.22 in June of last year.

Wages and salaries averaged $24.91 per hour worked and accounted for 68.6 percent of these costs, while benefit costs averaged $11.41 and accounted for the remaining 31.4 percent.

Total employer compensation costs for state and local government workers averaged $50.55 per hour worked in December 2018.

Wages and salaries averaged $31.59 per hour worked and accounted for 62.5 percent of these costs, while benefit costs averaged $18.96 and accounted for the remaining 37.5 percent.

For benefit costs by category, insurance and retirement and savings costs both averaged $5.95 per hour worked or 11.8 percent of total compensation, and paid leave costs averaged $3.79 per hour worked for 7.5 percent of total compensation.

Total employer compensation costs for private industry workers averaged $34.05 per hour worked in December 2018.

Wages and salaries averaged $23.85 per hour worked and accounted for 70.0 percent of these costs, while benefit costs averaged $10.20 and accounted for 30.0 percent.

For benefit costs by category, insurance benefits costs averaged $2.71 or 8.0 percent and legally required benefits costs averaged $2.64 per hour worked or 7.7 percent.