Winter is here, and drivers may not be ready for what’s ahead. In a survey…
Winter is here, and drivers may not be ready for what’s ahead. In a survey conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Discount Tire – the world’s largest retailer of tires and wheels – participants revealed a lack of confidence in their winter-driving skills and distrust of other drivers on the road during the colder season.
When it comes to driving during the winter, nine in 10 Americans don’t trust others to stay safe on the road, although only 41% are confident in their own winter-driving abilities.
And with many roads across the U.S. experiencing icy conditions throughout the winter, 48% of drivers even avoid running errands or traveling at all (42%) due to weather concerns.
Additionally, Discount Tire and OnePoll found that:
- 85% of respondents check their tire pressure to prep for winter weather.
- 79% knew the temperature outside affects their tire pressure.
- Only 59% of drivers surveyed test their battery to prep their vehicle for winter.
- Just half of respondents have used winter tires on their vehicles.
- Only 48% were unaware tread depth determines a vehicle’s safe stopping distance.
Regardless of where you live or whether you purchase winter tires, one of the best ways to stay safe on the roads this winter is to have your tires checked by a professional, something only 53% of respondents plan to do.